Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mondegreens

a MONDEGREEN is the mishearing or misinterpretation of a statement or a song lyric (from http://grammar.about.com/od/mo/g/mondegreenterm.htm)

here are only a few of my own misinterpretations from my childhood on up.

(and don't you hate it when the lyrics in your head sound better than the actual ones?)

*the real lyrics are in ITALICS 

She Loves You (The Beatles)
"The shoes she's thinking of"
"It's you she's thinking of"

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (The Beatles)
"Pissing in the sky with diamonds"
"Lucy in the sky with diamonds"

Obstacle 1 (Interpol)
"I wish I could eat the salt off your left favorite lip"
"I wish I could eat the salt off your lost faded lips"

"She fucks me" (repeat 6 times)
"She packs it away" (repeat 6 times)

A Time To Be So Small (Interpol)
"Re-horsing an erection he wasn't even there"
"Rehearsing interaction he wasn't even there"

I Want You To Want Me (Cheap Trick)
"Shinin' up the both my shoes, give 'em a brand new shine"
"Shinin' up the both my shoes, put on a brand new shirt"

"I'll put out a beautiful word if you say that you love me"
(OR: "Oh, it'd be a beautiful world if you say that you love me")
"I'll get off early from work if you say that you love me"

Heart of Glass (Blondie)
"Don't you mistrust what's far behind"
"Mucho mistrust, love's far behind"

"Your cheatin' eyes (or lies) have been loved"
"You teasing like you do"

"Lost in time, I double all illusion and I get a high (or along) (or a lot)"
"Lost inside, adorable illusion and I cannot hide"

"And I run and hide although it's just a drewish (or foolish) lie (or line)"
"And I run and hide yeah, riding on love's true bluish light"

"Seemed like the real thing, Oh Mormons are fine (or though moments aside)"
"Seemed like the real thing only to find..."

more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment